by Howard Nemerov
Who can remember back to the first poets,
The greatest ones, greater even than Orpheus?
No one has remembered that far back
Or now considers, among the artifacts,
And bones and cantilevered inference
The past is made of, those first and greatest poets,
So lofty and disdainful of renown
They left us not a name to know them by.
They were the ones that in whatever tongue
Worded the world, that were the first to say
Star, water, stone, that said the visible
And made it bring invisibles to view
In wind and time and change, and in the mind
Itself that minded the hitherto idiot world
And spoke the speechless world and sang the towers
Of the city into the astonished sky.
They were the first great listeners, attuned
To interval, relationship, and scale,
The first to say above, beneath, beyond,
Conjurors with love, death, sleep, with bread and wine,
Who having uttered vanished from the world
Leaving no memory but the marvelous
Magical elements, the breathing shapes
And stops of breath we build our Babels of.
This is why it’s so funny/tragic when people degrade Kim Kardashian for the fact that she made a sex tape, calling her a worthless slut, gold-digging whore etc (literally everyone ever’s reaction when someone mentions Kim Kardashian. Congratuations, you’re so original! And such a charming person!)
Like.. she doesn’t care. She was horny and she felt like it. What other reason does someone need to make a sex tape with their boyfriend? The fact that he was then evil enough to completely violate her privacy and release the tape without her permission is his bad. That’s on him. He’s a cunt, as is any man who publicizes naked photos and video footage of women against their will. Also a criminal.
And it was one of the most shattering things that can happen to a woman. If someone released a video of me then god, I’d be heartbroken. I’d have crawled under a rock and never come out again. But she recovered and then made a hugely successful career for herself, her mother and all four of her sisters, and… people portray that as a bad thing? “Her whole family is only famous for her sex tape!!!” Yep, and? Go on, keep calling her a pointless whore. She can’t hear you over her multiple successful businesses, tv shows, endorsement deals and the guaranteed-safe futures of herself and her entire family.
Yep - this is also why, if you call Kardashian stupid or an attention whore or just a whore, you are a sexist.
No, please don’t try to add a caveat. If you don’t like what the Kardashians represent, you are a sexist. You are. Just deal with that and move on with your life. Because you’ve decided that a woman taking credit for a sex tape and building an entire reality-show empire around herself and her family - a woman who’s decided “people want to watch me, so I’ll let them watch me” - is doing womanhood wrong. You’ve decided that wanting attention, courting the media, having a sex life in the spotlight makes a woman less than you. You’ve decided that the biggest crime a woman can commit is “ugh, being everywhere, on all those magazine covers” when what she should have done is slink away back into obscurity, like she deserved.
Don’t pretend that you didn’t want her punished for releasing a sex tape. Don’t pretend that you don’t still want her punished. Because every time I hear you complain about the Kardashians of the world, that’s what I hear. And I’m way more sick of listening to you complain than you are of seeing Kim Kardashian’s face.
CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR SERIES 7, EPISODE 11
1. Victorian England. 1893. Anyone who knows me knows that 1880-1920 is my favorite period in modern history, with the decade of 1890-1900 being particularly favored.
2. Strax. Just, everything he does.
3. Jenny kicking ass.
4. GPS street-urchin boy.
5. An army of Victorian models? Lol.
6. Clara’s dress, seriously so good.
7. Glass bell jars preserving people? so so good.
8. The Doctor, Clara, the sonic screwdriver, and the chair.
9. “You’re nuts, I’m the Doctor, and I’m going to stop you.”
10. “You hag, you perfidious hag!”
11. Anachronistic chimney-rockets.
12. Ada’s “monster”. aww.
13. The kids Clara nannies for - so clever. SO psyched that they are going to be in next week’s episode, I love when the companion’s real-world people get involved. Although I do hate to see children in peril.
14. Oh, and the flashback story-telling told in old-timey film reels. cute.
15. jenny infiltrating and investigating sweetville = shades of real life nellie bly infiltrating an insane asylum [“Ten Days in a Mad-House” - read it!]
THE LAUGHABLY RIDICULOUS
1. Clara’s hairdo. Did not look good.
2. The symbiotic red leech parasite from the dawn of time? Purrr-lease.
“Harry Potter isn’t real? Oh no! Wait, wait, what do you mean by real? Is this video blog real? Am I real if you can see me and hear me, but only through the internet? Are you real if I can read your comment but I don’t know who you are or what your name is or where you’re from or what you look like or how old you are? I know all of those things about Harry Potter. Maybe Harry Potter’s real and you’re not.”
- John Green, ladies and gentlemen!